FBSL v3.4.10 and v3.5 under Mac OS X Wine

(Topics Related to FBSL)

FBSL v3.4.10 and v3.5 under Mac OS X Wine

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Hello everybody,

I promised to continue my publications concerning FBSL v3.5's performance under alien OS's. Now I'm a happy owner of Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 with all the recent updates and I can show you how FBSL looks under this very demanding operating system.

It's been rather difficult to make Wine running under Mac OS X but I finally did it with the most recent developers' bundle which appeared, much to my surprise, downloadable from a 3rd-party site rather than directly from the Wine headquarters.

It seems like FBSL's limitations under ReactOS, Ubuntu and Mac OS X alike are mostly due to the quality of Wine's emulation of MS Windows environment on these platforms. Most of FBSL v3.4.10 standard samples performed well though Eclecta still couldn't make its way through, either scripted or precompiled, in both v3.4.10 and 3.5. Neither could I get any immediate-mode or shader-based OpenGL samples to run due to pixel format incompatibilities.

FBSL v3.4.10 under Mac OS X Lion:

FBSL v3.5 performed very well with both standard sample scripts (including multithreaded ones) and also with a much more advanced USSR 2D sprite library. There are seven (!) animated scripts running simultaneously in the screenshot below each exhibiting a rather attractive FPS rate.

FBSL v3.5 under Mac OS X Lion:

And finally, my Xmas script also ran very smooth and fast with all the animations and sound as expected:

It won't be forever that FBSL will remain a 32-bit Windows-only piece of software but even now, it is very nice to see our prior work to be robust and stable enough under such stressful conditions that the beautiful yet extremely demanding Mac OS X system imposes on its content. :)
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Return to FBSL v3 Discussion Board