FBSL v3.5 and GCC v4.8.1

(Topics Related to FBSL)

FBSL v3.5 and GCC v4.8.1

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Mon May 19, 2014 5:18 am

I have just tried compiling FBSL v3.5 RC2 with GCC v4.8.1 instead of my usual GCC v4.3.3. It did add a 10% to 15% boost to all my integer and floating-point benchmarks. However:

1. The size of Fbsl.exe binary has increased by 110KB from its current 606KB to 716KB.

2. GCC's new SEH scheme interferes with my own SEH implementation and doesn't work quite like I want it to. Nor am I able to either disable or override this new feature altogether.

3. The new data and code section layout within the binaries generated by GCC v4.8.1 require that I rewrite my elaborate hand-coded FBSL executable compilation routine from scratch. I'd rather not spend two more weeks of my time recoding and debugging it again.

That said, I have decided that FBSL v3.5 will stay as it is even if it makes it run somewhat slower than I'd like it to.
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Return to FBSL v3 Discussion Board