Anti-Viral Tests

(Vital Data and New Beta Release Info)

Anti-Viral Tests

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am

This announcement will present the most recent results for Fbsl.exe, Fbsl_Tiny.exe and Fbsl.dll binaries included in the distribution package and tested with a number of antiviral software packages available at http://www.virustotal.com online. The results can be verified by anyone anytime.

October 2, 2010 -- Fbsl.exe, Fbsl_Tiny.exe, Fbsl.dll
Anti.10.02.10.GIF
Anti.10.02.10.GIF (37.44 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Re: Anti-Viral Tests

Unread postby Tientien » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi,

https://www.virustotal.com/file/1f40c91 ... 352056861/

now gives 2 virus on FBSLv3.exe:
AntiVir TR/Fraud.Gen7 20121104
Kingsoft VIRUS_UNKNOWN 20121028

Please check and explain.

Thanks
Etienne
Tientien
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Gerome » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Tientien wrote:Hi,

https://www.virustotal.com/file/1f40c91 ... 352056861/

now gives 2 virus on FBSLv3.exe:
AntiVir TR/Fraud.Gen7 20121104
Kingsoft VIRUS_UNKNOWN 20121028

Please check and explain.

Thanks
Etienne

Etienne,

False alams, FBSL is entirely compiled with GCC 4.3.3 which is compiled under Linux, so it woud be terrible if Linux itself has such virii problems :)
Yours,

(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
:: Full SETUP w. HELP 05th of December 2011 ::
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3.exe [full v3.4.10 installation pack]
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3bin.zip [minimal upgrade to v3.4.10]
Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 am

Hi Etienne,

Virustotal.com has become my helpmeet ever since I came to take part in the FBSL development team. And I've had similar false AV alarms every now and then with a number of intermediary compilations of FBSL as it grew from its v1.0 to v3.5 in the past dozen years. There are several reasons why such false alarms may be triggered.

1. Not all the AV software at Virustotal is equally mature and reliable. Alongside such respectful brands like Kaspersky Labs, Norton, DrWeb, McAfee, PCTools and a tiny handful of others, there are quite a number of minor AV packages represented there which are either too immature and superficial in their methods for a thorough AV analysis, or else are specifically biased towards protecting certain fields of human activity like e.g. web banking, or gambling, or gaming, etc. and can by no means be regarded as a final judgement or an all-purpose panacea. The former ones don't have enough experience, or potential, or data bases, or inclination, or finance of their own for a thorough signature and heuristics analysis of such a complicated piece of software as the FBSL binaries, while the latter ones are just a plain laughing stock -- I've seen dozens of them at Virustotal come and go during the 12 years of FBSL existence.

2. FBSL is an all-in-one package. It is an integrated environment of three ( :!: ) different but tightly interlaced full-featured programming languages -- BASIC, ANSI C, and Assembler -- housed in an executable which is a little more than 600KB in size, uncompressed. It doesn't click fancy buttons all by itself or display picturesque resources nor does it play music or show video like 99% of the other shitcode spam available on the net. That's why it looks so suspicious to the "AV gurus" who don't know which side to approach it from for their alleged "analysis". Frankly, I've never heard anything even remotely as idiotic as this "UNKNOWN VIRUS!!!" yell by those :wc:-Soft or whaddayacall'em blockheads over there, har-har-har... :mrgreen:

3. Of course, being so tiny and so powerful takes a lot of careful planning and non-standard solutions. The inability of some AV packages to adequately analyse a piece of software often manifests in the easiest, but also the silliest, way -- just blame and shame and flame everything they are not capable to comprehend or match. Fbsl_Tiny.exe v3.5 is only 3KB large and it will surely trigger false alarms of the cheapest and most pitiful anti-viruses at Virustotal.com for its sheer size. They don't realize that anything so small can do useful things, and do them right. If you're smaller than 8KB in size, you're a virus -- that's what they say. If you compile your code with TCC -- you're a virus. If you compress your executables with UPX -- you're a virus. If you're black, not white -- you're a virus. That's racism and that's fascism.

4. So much of the dev team's effort goes into this unfruitful fight for a place under the sun. It drains the resources and it wastes a lot of time. This is the very case when AV's are more a nuisance than a remedy.

AV is a double edged sword. It can protect but it can obstruct, likewise. AV can be one's friend but it can also be a nuisance. It will only depend on the user's intelligence, in the long run.
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Return to FBSL v3 News