FBSL v3.5 Release Candidate 2 Download

(Vital Data and New Beta Release Info)

FBSL v3.5 Release Candidate 2 Download

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Dear friends,

Here comes the FBSL v3.5 Release Candidate 2.

This is a maintenance release with several important fixes:

1. FBSL binaries:
-- more precise memory management when handling include files
-- robust standalone exe compilation immune to latent file access denial errors

2. Eclecta:
-- toolbar visibility toggle fixed
-- long-standing external file change notification glitches fixed
-- tab icon glitches fixed

Thanks go to:
-- Codeman who submitted the most weird include file scenario I've ever seen. It would crash my FBSL and GNU debugger (GDB) so furiously that I thought I would never be able to cope with the problem. :D
-- Gerome who pointed me to GDB v7.6.1. It helped me make the FBSL memory manager yet more resistant to user attacks. :D BTW Gerome, do you know that GDB v7.6.2 is out?

As always, please install the entire package as all the binaries have been recompiled and Eclecta source, ini and help files have been updated. If you want to preserve your existing binaries for possible future rollback, first rename them to something else prior to using this update and then follow the instructions as per the enclosed .PDF.

Those who are completely new to FBSL please:

-- first off, install an older version of FBSL (FBSLv3.exe -- full v3.4.10 installation) on your PC using the distribution package linked to Mr Gerome GUILLEMIN's signature everywhere on this site;
-- then make sure that your v3.4.10 has been installed in a root directory called ...\FBSLv3. Now download the zip attached below, open it up and locate in it the folder that has a similar name \FBSLv3. Drag and drop this folder onto the ...\FBSLv3 root directory of your v3.4.10 installation and allow your Windows to overwrite the older files as it copies the newer ones from the v3.5 RC2 zip;
-- further, copy the other two folders -- \DynCScripts and \DynAsmScripts -- and the FBSL v3.5 RC2.pdf file to any location on you PC at your option. These folders contain more examples to show off FBSL's new features, and the PDF file includes a guide to converting the older v3.4.10 examples to the slightly different, more modern syntax of FBSL v3.5 RC2;
-- finally see the enclosed FBSL v3.5 RC2.pdf also for the description of new language features not covered in the older v3.4.10 help file that you have.

Thank you.

[UPDATE] Y'all are highly encouraged to also download and try out an Fbsl.exe-only build of v3.5 RC2 with yet better error trapping based on the Windows Structured Exception Handling (SEH) technology.

Enjoy FBSL!

:noel:
Attachments
FBSL v3.5 RC2.zip
Binaries, manuals, sources, utilities, and installation guide
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 884 times
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Re: FBSL v3.5 Release Candidate 2 Download

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 am

Surprisingly, integer division by zero hasn't been intercepted in FBSL up till now and led to uncontrollable app crashes. This fault has been fixed and will be included in future releases of FBSL. Now expressions of the type "i \ 0" or "i Mod 0" will be reported as "Error &H60: division by 0".

Floating-point division by zero is a valid arithmetic operation. "i / 0" yields positive infinity printed out to the console as "1.#INF" whereas "-i / 0" yields negative infinity printed out as "-1.#INF". FBSL doesn't make a distinction between floating-point -0 and +0.
Mike
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

FMFD bug

Unread postby Gerome » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am

Hello Mike,

I've found a strange bug under Win7 using FMFD.
Open it, click onto new form icon to generate a brand new form, add, a button onto it, click onto Generate fbsl script form, then click onto generate a brand new form, then FMFD will ask you save the current form file, then click Cancel, and click onto the 1st generated form : this one appears blank and suddenly my mouse pointer remains totally blocked on top of the left screen, I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to unfreeze my mouse.
Yours,

(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
:: Full SETUP w. HELP 05th of December 2011 ::
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3.exe [full v3.4.10 installation pack]
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3bin.zip [minimal upgrade to v3.4.10]
Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Re: FMFD bug

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for the report, Gerome.

I confirm a similar glitch under XP too except the cursor remains controllable at all times. Yet the first design form becomes inaccessible until you close it with its associated script window with mouse clicks on their [X] buttons.

FMFD cannot operate on several form windows at once as it doesn't provide a means to preserve individual form data when several design forms are opened up and toggled between concurrently. This was one of many limitations of the original BCX code FMFD was built around long ago.

I will correct the sources to make the Cancel button operable in the sense that when clicked, it will deny opening the second design form altogether effectively cancelling the user's unfortunate action which he evidently wishes to avoid.

Further development of FMFD is reportedly overtaken by Codeman.
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Goldsmith » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Mike
I have installed FBSL v3.5 RC2 as per the instruction in that PDF. I run Eclecta 1.1.5. It's ok but i can't run any script from that IDE. It says that "Startup Script hasn't been properly compiled yet." I don't know what is the startup script. I have opened Eclecta and create a new file and type some FBSL commands. Please help me to resolve this.

Note: I ran Eclecta from "E:\2014 Softwares\FBSL Languge\FBSL v3.5 RC2\FBSLv3\Samples\GUI\IDE_FULL\Bin\Eclecta115.exe"
This (E:\2014 Softwares\FBSL Languge\FBSL v3.5 RC2\) folder is where i downloaded v3.5 RC2.

I just tried as you suggest reneminer in this forum. I ran Eclecta from the script. (i.e. Right clicking and selecting the Eclecta un compiled script). But that have a problem, it won't strore the options we set into any ini file. So when we run this script second time, all the options are empty.

I am totallu lost. I think you need to upload a complete new exe which install a fresh version of 3.5
Goldsmith
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm

1) Eclecta 1.1.5 can work with FBSL "projects" -- complex scripts that would refer to an unlimited number (or none) of auxiliary include files that will all be loaded into Eclecta and opened up automatically for your convenience at its launch time, if you set up the path to the "project" script (now called "startup script") in Eclecta's Options->Environment dialog. This script is runnable from Eclecta by clicking its green triangle |> button. It is also compilable to an executable file from within Eclecta if needed. The button you're misusing (judging by what it tells you) is the rightmost but one, the one that shows a blue gear with a small green triangle. It is intended for running, from within Eclecta, not the literal script you're working with but rather the executable that you have already compiled from the startup script if it's been specified in the Options. Generally, you don't have to precompile FBSL scripts just to be able to run them -- FBSL rather precompiles them directly in memory on the fly when you press Eclecta's green or yellow triangle buttons or double-click the script file icon with your mouse.

2) Apart from working with the startup script that you can specify in the Options dialog for easy access (if none is specified then your green triangle as well as compilation press and blue gear buttons are inoperative), you can load additional scripts into Eclecta via its Open File dialog or by dragging-and-dropping. But contrary to the startup script, their include files, if any, will not be opened automatically to avoid overloading Eclecta with too much of functionally unrelated content. You can edit these files and resave them too if necessary, or just run them with Eclecta's yellow triangle |> button, but you can't compile them to exes from within Eclecta unless you set one of them as the startup script. These additional files will not affect the behavior of the main "project" (i.e. the startup script) nor will they be included into the exe that Eclecta is able to compile from that startup script if it's been specified at all. These additional files may often be handy for easy reference, copy-pasting from, or quickly running the examples in an arbitrary manner as you normally would studying the existing code base.

All these things are described in Eclecta's CHM help file that would open up for you on pressing the F1 key from within the editor.

3) Your FBSL v3.5 RC2 distribution including new Eclectas may not be unzipped to an arbitrary place on your disk. Its folders and files must be copied over your existing FBSL v3.4.10 files and folders. You must allow Windows to overwrite the older files whenever it asks you for a permission to do so. In this way you will have all the older functionality of your system popup menu (added at the time of full v3.4.10 installation) preserved, and both Eclectas, scripted and precompiled, will write their respective settings into their respective .ini files in their respective folders.

FBSL v3.5 RC2 cannot be used for learning purposes in an arbitrary installation folder, but only when written over the existing v3.4.10 installation. Do not hesitate to overwrite! You will never want or need the older installation again once you get hold of FBSL v3.5!

:yum:
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Goldsmith » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. The configuration of v3.5RC2 took several minutes. And atlast it ended in ruining the v3.4 installation and nothing worked. So i have decided that continuing v3.4 is the best choice. And only go for 3.5 when you realese the official version.
I hope you will realease it very soon.
This startup script idea seems to be weird. When we click "New" in file menu it will create an exact copy copy of startup script. And if we delete all the stuff in newly created script and assume that we wrote a hello world printing code in that file. We can't compile that script, It says that "Startup Script hasn't been properly compiled yet." Why the hell i want to compile the startup script ?, i just trying to compile my current script.
I think something in that help file which would deviate readers.
Goldsmith
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Goldsmith wrote:The configuration of v3.5RC2 took several minutes. And atlast it ended in ruining the v3.4 installation and nothing worked.

WAT?

Your existing v3.4.10 resides in a parent folder called FBSLv3. Your v3.5 RC2 zip also contains a folder called FBSLv3. So, are you telling us that as much action as simple dragging the FBSLv3 folder out of the zip and dropping it on top of your existing FBSLv3 folder and then clicking the Yes To All button in response to the Windows overwrite prompt took "several minutes"?? What's wrong with you, your computer or your Windows that has turned the simplest ever act of file copying into some sort of disastrous "configuration" that's "ruining" and leaving "nothing working"???

You started the whole mess yourself by not following the advice you've been given much in advance. You tried to outsmart your advisors by attempting to install v3.5 someplace other than your existing v3.4.10 installation. Having attempted to run the new binaries from nowhere while not having the slightest notion of how FBSL works, what it does or how it does it, you're now bravely blaming the developer for your own disobedient and profane actions?

Tell you what, Vinod. When you're able to throw in a working FBSL script similar to my unicode smiley from scratch off the top of your head in 15 minutes in response to a casual forum message, then I'll be prepared to discuss your kind suggestions on the FBSL v3 Feature Requests board of this forum as to how I could possibly implement a better installer for my Work In Progress project aiming for a person who's having obvious difficulties with as little as dragging one folder from one place on his computer to another one. Until then, I'm afraid I am not exactly prepared to discuss that with you.

So i have decided that continuing v3.4 is the best choice. And only go for 3.5 when you realese the official version.
I hope you will realease it very soon.

Or else what, if I wouldn't? You'll be heading back for AutoIt?

Why the hell i want to compile the startup script ?, i just trying to compile my current script ...

Because it has never been reasonable to attempt leaking against the wind. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. You are supposed to use Eclecta 1.1.5 for compiling executables from project scripts alone. Alternatively, your can compile any .FBS script you like to an executable by right-clicking on its icon with your mouse and selecting either Compile script or Compile script Tiny from the system popup menu. It works equally well under both v3.4.10 and v3.5 provided you do exactly as you're told when dragging one folder on top of the other one. By all other means, you're free to run any scripts any time without compilation.

This startup script idea seems to be weird.

Oh, does it, really? Have you ever tried anything other than Notepad? Is the concept of a "project" file completely new to you? Can you please kindly point me to any contemporary IDE that would allow you to compile anything else but the project file alone? Perhaps VB6 would allow you to do that? Or VB.NET/C#? VC/VC++? No? Then perhaps PowerBASIC, or FreeBASIC, or thinBasic IDEs would permit you or me to do just that? No again? Then what are you talking about here, AutoIt? What's that, may I ask? Never heard of them actually -- always had much better choices at my disposal.

When we click "New" in file menu it will create an exact copy copy of startup script. And if we delete all the stuff in newly created script and assume that we wrote a hello world printing code in that file.

You are not supposed to run or compile any new script before you rename its default Untitled.fbs header to something more meaningful and legible. If not, then you'll be seeing your most recent blabla saved under that default Untitled.fbs name every time you open up a "new" script under the same default name. Should it overwrite your valuable blabla with completely blank space when reopened just because you forgot to rename it last time? Do you know how many times this "weird" feature helped us to restore the most valuable pieces of our code that otherwise would've been irrevocably lost just because of our own carelessness? You don't? Then ask, and we will answer, and only then if you still think that we're talking crap after 15 years of development, kindly offer your alternative suggestion that would be based on your subjective opinion that you seem to value more than the developers' common sense and experience.

I think something in that help file which would deviate readers.

Am I supposed to understand this utterance as my English being inadequate, and my knowledge of Eclecta insufficient or incompetent, for an average Indian reader?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's really been a long time since I read anything similar on the FBSL forum last. One more attempt to continue in the same vein from you, Vinod, and you'll get sacked from here for good. Both of you.

In the meantime, would you be so kind as to acquaint us with the magical solution that enabled you to revive the library as per this thread?
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Goldsmith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 am

Hi Mike,
I am sorry. I am not supposed to blame you or anybody behind FBSL. Its all came from my frustrations. And you know, English is my second language. So i have some difficulties in expressing my imotions correctly. I am just a learner in FBSL.
I know, you said a lot in your answer. To understand some of them, i need to use google. That's my level in English.

I know, i am the one who is not able to do the task in order to complete the installation of v3.5. So all that is my mistake. I am not blaming you.
And yes, it is a time consuming task. Read one instruction in the pdf, press alt tab and activate win explorer. Then open downloaded folder of RC2 and installation Dir of FBSL. And read each instrucion and do the copy pastes.
Anyhow, i will not give up. I will try to work with v3.5
And,
In the meantime, would you be so kind as to acquaint us with the magical solution that enabled you to revive the library as per

Is this a scoff to me ?. I don't think so, but i doubt.
Goldsmith
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:28 pm

@All:

I've edited the OP to guard the FBSL newbies against falling into traps.

@Vinod:

No scoffing, just lofty speech. :)
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Goldsmith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm

@Mike,
Thanks. :)
Goldsmith
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Goldsmith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi Mike,
I have done it successfully. Thanks for for edited first post.
How do i verify the FBSL version by programatically printing it to console ? Like "Print Version" . Is there any code like that ?.
Now without upx lowest program size is 660KB. Old was 440KB.
Goldsmith
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Simply double click Fbsl.exe or Fbsl_Tiny.exe. You'll see a splash screen with the version data in it.

You can do the same programmatically from your script by using the commands Run() or Spawn() with the "Disk:\Pathname\Fbsl.exe" or "Disk:\Pathname\Fbsl_Tiny.exe" full pathname in one of their arguments as appropriate per the Fbsl Help.

We don't need a version number returned to the program in a numeric form. Nobody's been writing their scripts in any other notation but FBSL v3.5 for many years.

FBSL v3.5 is larger because it has Dynamic C, matrix math library, and compression/decompression utilities that FBSL v3.4 hadn't. You can freely apply UPX's --force --ultra-brute compression to the Fbsl.dll library reducing its size to about 275KB. This isn't going to affect its usability in any way. Don't do it however to Fbsl.exe because then the FBSL compiler wouldn't be able to compile a standalone executable against it. The compiler must see an uncompressed Fbsl.exe original to be able to properly embed your script in its body for standalone use. Prefer to rather apply UPX after the script has been embedded -- exactly as the compiler would offer. Fbsl_Tiny.exe is already so tiny that it can't be UPXed any deeper either before or after compilation, so UPX is inapplicable to the compilation of tinies other than UPXing Fbsl.dll itself.

The format of FBSL v3.5 console apps is as follows:
Code: Select all
#AppType Console

? | Echo | Print "Hello, world!"

Pause

?/Echo/Print are synonyms. Pause is there to keep the console visible for you while you're reading its output.

Yet if you're going to use some WinAPIs in it even if they don't require a graphical window, then add an include file to the script as follows to be able to use WinAPI's various numeric constants:
Code: Select all
#AppType Console
#Include <Include\Windows.inc>

Print "Hello, console world!"
MessageBox(NULL, "Hello, windowed world!", "WinAPI in Action", MB_ICONEXCLAMATION)

Pause isn't needed here because the MessageBox() API (or BASIC's own MsgBox() command as well) will keep both the console and message box windows open until you close one of them explicitly.

Do not use deprecated #Uses "@|WIN32" any more. Such libraries are no longer embedded in FBSL v3.5. They proved too limited to embrace the entire WinAPI.
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Goldsmith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks. I know that v3.5 has some changes. Where i can learn about this changes. In copy of RC2, i didn't find any help file related to v3.5. It only contains DynC and DynASM help files.
Goldsmith
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Vinod,

Goldsmith wrote:In copy of RC2, i didn't find any help file related to v3.5. It only contains DynC and DynASM help files.

I'm afraid this isn't exactly so:

Mike Lobanovsky wrote:-- finally see the enclosed FBSL v3.5 RC2.pdf also for the description of new language features not covered in the older v3.4.10 help file that you have.

Which means that the older v3.4.10 help file with The Beginner's Tutorial plus the newer FBSL v3.5 RC2.pdf taken together are the most exhaustive description of FBSL v3.5 BASIC that we are physically able to offer today. RC2 is not a complete Final release but a WIP, after all.

Had the new BASIC help file been already written, then my private build of RC3 that I already have but am not publishing yet would've been released as the FBSL v3.5 Final distribution with a full installer together with that mythical new help file.

But as things stand now, it remains only wishful thinking. I have compiled, and am maintaining, all the other CHM help manuals -- DynAsm help, DynC help, Win32 Programmer's Reference, and Eclecta help -- all by myself. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life re-writing just that one help file that's probably 80% usable in its older form. There's noone willing to help me out by translating the existing file from obscure Frenglish to legible English and, most importantly, by upgrading its vocabulary and keyword examples to a 100% compatible v3.5 syntax that would be a purely automatic task of spending a few weeks typing English (or American, or Australian, or Canadian, or French, or German) own native characters on one's screen even if only one by one and with just one gnarly finger. And BTW, my own native language letters are all Cyrillic, not Latin, just in case someone might forget. ;)

I am a programmer, not a novelist or copywriter, and yet I did write a shitload of documentation all alone, simply because noone else here knew the subject better than me at that time. But BASIC is common knowledge, and now I want to be left alone and to be given a chance to enjoy my own hobby programming in v3.5 and to concentrate on designing the future version of FBSL, rather than do that French-to-English stuff as my school homework again and again -- I am not interested. I do not want to be a Jack-of-all-trades any more. Not at my age.
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Next

Return to FBSL v3 News