Update on FBSL W.I.P.

(Vital Data and New Beta Release Info)

Update on FBSL W.I.P.

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello community,

Here comes a brief update on the current progress in the development of FBSL v3.5.

Stage I

A new Compression layer has been fully implemented in FBSL v3.5. It enables the user to:

1. Compress and decompress user data buffers using an advanced Deflate algorithm with a compression ratio varying within 0 .. 9.
2. Write and read natively standard .ZIP archives using the Deflate algorithm which amounts to approx. 95% of all zipped data usable under MS Windows. The archives can contain both distinct files and folders and are 100% compatible with the existing multi-purpose archivers such as WinZip, WinRar, 7-zip and many others.
3. Write and load .PNG images natively and independently of image codecs available on the user PC.

4. Compress and decompress user data buffers using the most advanced LZMA algorithm with a compression ratio varying within 0 .. 9. LZMA compresses data up to 40% better than Deflate at comparable compression/decompression speeds.
5. Write and read natively standard .LZMA archives readable also with the free and open source 7-zip archiver.
6. Read natively standard .7Z archives with data compressed using LZMA and LZMA2 algorithms with and without BCJ and BCJ2 filters. This amounts to 99.99% of all .7Z archives usable under MS Windows.

As a side effect of FBSL's new LZMA functionality, it now uses LZMA to compress/decompress its own scripts embedded in user generated executables. Of course, FBSL also preserves backward compatibility with Lzo- and Zip-compressed script stubs embedded in executables which were compiled under v3.4.10 and v3.5 Alpha .. RC2 builds, respectively.

Stage II

A new Resources layer is under construction now. Yes, FBSL is going to have its own resource functionality modeled after VB6. The compilation process will include a Compile Resources stage whereby the user will be allowed to add arbitrary image, string and user data resources to the executable.

The resources precompiled into the executable will be accessible at run time from within the script via LoadResImage(), LoadResString(), and LoadResData() function calls.

Stage III

I have a lot of code developed and accumulated over the years concerning image handling and processing. I can be completely independent of image codecs installed in the system or of 3rd party libraries and still be able to load and save a lot of image formats quickly and efficiently. So I'm on the verge of adding a completely new Image layer to FBSL v3.5.

I'm planning to enrich the existing FbslLoadImage()/FbslSaveImage() functionality with comprehensive and automatically format-aware support of such widely used image formats as BMP, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG and TGA with bit depths in the range of 1 to 48 bits per pixel and with color and alpha transparency where applicable. I am also planning to add read-only support of more obscure but still very useful image formats such as PNM (PPM/PGM/PBM portable maps), DDS (MS DirectDraw surfaces), PSD (Photoshop images including duotone), and HDR (HDRI/RGBA high dynamic range images).

This is going to make FBSL completely MS-platform independent, consistent, and exceptionally rich image-wise compared to ordinary general purpose scripting languages.
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Re: Update on FBSL W.I.P.

Unread postby bugmagnet » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Words fail me. This is just so helpful. Thank you!!
bugmagnet
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Hello Mike,
your different stages for FBSL sounds very good. What is your time planning for the releases?
Thanks a lot for your work.
Cheers
Stefan
Visit my homepage
or meet me at XING or at the SCN
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your inquiry. Stages 1 and 2 have been completed, stage 3 is still in progress. I got somewhat distracted by a project currently running in parallel in three languages - FBSL, ScriptBASIC, and OxygenBasic. That's an effort to create a LISP dialect written entirely in BASIC.

The project is currently nearing completion, its OxygenBasic implementation (OxyLISP) still needing some final touches before it becomes fully operative.

I think stage 3 will be completed within some 5 to 7 days. FBSL v3.5 RC3 will be released immediately when the work is over.

Regards,
Mike
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Re: Update on FBSL - Next Release Date

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:48 am

Hello Mike,
hope you are well and all is okay.
Even to run the risk to seem impatient, when did you plan the next release date?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Stefan
Visit my homepage
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Stefan,

Stage III is almost completed but in other respects, I'm exactly where I was one month ago with my previous message. I've started to add a brand new DynLisp JIT compiler layer to FBSL and I wouldn't want to release the RC3 without it. Allow me a little more time to see how well this effort goes. If it appears to be too complicated, then I'll pull my horses and release the RC3 without it. But I haven't made up my mind yet.

Thanks for your continuing interest in FBSL anyway.
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Hello Mike,
thanks for your answer.
Take the time you need. You are doing a very good job and you have brilliant ideas. I am looking forward to your new ideas and how to use it in my special cases.
Best regards
Stefan
Visit my homepage
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Codeman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm

mike's hell :op
at this rate fbsl will include all dyn jit compilers lol

good job mike you rock :p
_-=<(¯`·._.·[ CodeMan ]·._.·´¯)>=-_
Your only limit : Your imagination

FBSL V3 TESTED On :

Chris 1 (Corei5-4460S 2.9 GHZ w/ 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 745 w/ 4GB VRAM, Windows 8 x64 Fr)
Chris 2 (2.0GHz AMD Atlon 64 X2 3800+ w/ 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT w/ 1GB VRAM, Windows 7 x64 Fr)
Chris 3 (Tablet pc : ASUS Transformer Book T100)
Codeman
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Hello Chris1/2/3! :D

You're looking really cool in this outfit, especially with your new videocard!

As for the LISP JIT, it turned out rather complicated so I put the idea aside for awhile. In the meantime, I have a really cool DynC script for a bytecode Scheme (that's a LISP dialect) interpreter that I'll post together with the upcoming release of FBSL v3.5 RC3. It is not as fast as a true JIT would be but it is substantially faster than many other indie LISP implementations out there.

RC3 is fairly complete now but some personal problems and other involvements prevented me to release it on time. Still hoping to do so by the end of this year tho.
Mike

Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Return to FBSL v3 News