filelistview and dirlistview controls ?

(Questions and Answers, Quality Assured)

filelistview and dirlistview controls ?

Unread postby Codeman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm

i was wondering if there is any windows controls for this purposes or if i need to reinvent the wheel once again for this purpose ?
my aim is to get a fully fonctional control for explorating folders and selecting a file like in explorer and bing able to set some file filters like in opendialog/savedialog without popping a window each time :(
_-=<(¯`·._.·[ CodeMan ]·._.·´¯)>=-_
Your only limit : Your imagination

FBSL V3 TESTED On :

Chris 1 (Corei5-4460S 2.9 GHZ w/ 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 745 w/ 4GB VRAM, Windows 8 x64 Fr)
Chris 2 (2.0GHz AMD Atlon 64 X2 3800+ w/ 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT w/ 1GB VRAM, Windows 7 x64 Fr)
Chris 3 (Tablet pc : ASUS Transformer Book T100)
Codeman
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Re: filelistview and dirlistview controls ?

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 am

Dear Codeman,

I bet my boots (and trousers into the bargain) you are as shrewd at Fbsl as I am or even smarter! :D In fact so smart that I'm on the verge of assuming it was you who authored that bloody Fbsl Virus Writing Guide that's been hanging on the net for years now... :twisted:

Well, if you find Fbsl too hair-shirt in the way of controls, you can always turn the corner to Delphi to get yourself buried under such a heap of pre-built TTypes that you can hardly find a place on your desktop for you to code at... :) Quote SideshowBob: "How much do we want the data refined for us?" <=== "Listen to the wise man!" -- one more quote, this time from another perennial and unfathomable source of inspiration, Queen - The Prophet's Song Lyrics. IMHO what we're trying to do is encourage people to code rather than play children's toy blocks sitting in a sandbox.

Still, I can understand very well your indignation taking into account those hundreds of texture files you have to load into Xandreale together with each of your beautiful models. By the way, is Xandreale using that wonderful GUI you had in your MilkFarm MS3D Explorer -= Beta =-, may I ask? :wink:

Now seriously, what you are looking for is SysTreeView32 which you can find in your FMFD Controls panel under the name "Tree View". The examples of how it in fact looks when populated with meaningful content can be found on the left-hand panel of your own MS3D Explorer or, alternatively, on the right-hand panel of my dummy FSF GUI whose source code should still be there somewhere on one of your numerous hard disks.

The both versions are fully operational and responsive to mouse clicks. Keyboard control can easily be added too. In all other respects they are an exact replica of standard VB6 IDE Project Explorer tree view window.

To use them the file explorer style, you should populate them adding appropriate icons and file name entries in a recursive FindFirst/FindNext loop. Icon extraction for standard file associations may be too laborious and will certainly distract the user's attention from the main window of your application. So I'd recommend using a minimum of 3 pre-loaded icons only: one for folder/subfolder nodes, another one for all image files, and the third one, for all non-image files. If you are patient enough, you can use the entire set of image file icons precompiled into your MS3D Explorer (use ResHacker or PEExplorer to get them back if you don't have them any more) and design your own icons for model files (ms3d is already there in MS3D Explorer too).

By the way, the old orthogonal view icons (greenish boxes) you used in your MS3D Explorer distro were plain ugly. I had a set of more attractive icons ready that followed the general look-and-feel much better but you never asked.

Cheers and please take it easy -- in fact, my real self is soft and fluffy and purring like a kitten in a Whiskas TV commercial! :D

Hoping this helps,

Mike :D
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Codeman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:43 pm

thanks mike, the aim of my question was in fact to found out if there were interest in this user control to be putted in my actual framework as a control that can be put on any form so it may become reusable for all of us , also i already have done some alpha version of the dirlistview on my side with recursion also using findfirst and co, looks interesting but a lot of thing to add in it, i will look at the fmfd one before going too far

FBSL V3 TESTED On :

Chris 1 (Corei5-4460S 2.9 GHZ w/ 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 745 w/ 4GB VRAM, Windows 8 x64 Fr)
Chris 2 (2.0GHz AMD Atlon 64 X2 3800+ w/ 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT w/ 1GB VRAM, Windows 7 x64 Fr)
Codeman
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Codeman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Mike Lobanovsky wrote:Dear Codeman,
By the way, the old orthogonal view icons (greenish boxes) you used in your MS3D Explorer distro were plain ugly. I had a set of more attractive icons ready that followed the general look-and-feel much better but you never asked.

and i have reshack to extract them :D

FBSL V3 TESTED On :

Codeman
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Oh, you won't really need to hunt for them -- they are in the zip.

If you can, get yourself a runnable copy of PE Explorer. It is much better at extracting resources especially from packed executables. ResHacker is a little out-of-date already.

What concerns SysListView32, it is really very powerful. Even your entire desktop is a one large SysListView32 control.

And of course it would be cool to have it integrated into you framework. I don't think it's going to be time lost for nothing. :) Next time I start something serious, I'll sure use your framework classes in my project. I'm sick and tired of coding toolbars manually... :D

He-he, and I also know almost everything about this bl**dy tiled mess Gouraud shading turns the normals into. You have to recalc the normals per smoothing group only if your model has them (usually good MS3D and 3DS ones have them written into the model file), or at least per poly group if there's no such data in the model file. The groups that have curved and planar surfaces should be split into subgroups for the planar surfaces to look strictly flat and sharp at the edges. Also, planar surfaces bordering at an angle of more than approx. 85 degrees should also be split to have a sharp edge. If you import models that need their surfaces to be flipped, you must recalc new normals in this way for them to look clean. 8)
Attachments
Persp.zip
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:04 am

Also, I've just stumbled upon this old sample, presumably, by Helena... Or perhaps it is your own one...

I think you can use it for a simple HDD changer like the good VB old-timer I'm sure you still remember... That's in case you don't have it included in your framework yet. :)
Attachments
comboex32.zip
(3.78 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Codeman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:18 am

yeah i already added this one as CimageCombo ^^

FBSL V3 TESTED On :

Codeman
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Return to Q&A Squared