FBSL Hilite Editor v1.0 Beta

(Updates to FBSL Editors, RAD and Related Stuff)

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:07 am

SideshowBob wrote:In fact, the status line is updated correctly.

Bob,

It's updated correctly only when you type or delete something. When you surf the text with the navigation (arrow) keys, the status line IS NOT updated until you release the arrow key. Then WM_KEYUP is fired and the status line updates, but not until then.

I can't agree with this. I'll try to port the status update routine to ASM to make it by the order of magnitude quicker. Perhaps it'll cure the problem then.

While you are free to vivisect the code yourselves (hope this helps), I won't make your solution official. I believe there may be more elegant ways to achieve the same AND preserve the status line integrity.

Mike :)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby entech » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:15 pm

I have the latest standard instalation and find that if i use the up arrow before changing anything in the file, the editor closes down.
david
entech
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Cpilot » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:23 pm

I hate to chime in here but I rarely use keys with the editor, but when I do it hasn't caused me any problems.
I use this little thing called a mouse 99.9% of the time with the editor, and therefore the keys (up,down,sideways) give me no problem at all. :D

Just my meaningless 2 cents.
Last edited by Cpilot on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpilot
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Gerome » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:24 pm

Hi,

entech wrote:I have the latest standard instalation and find that if i use the up arrow before changing anything in the file, the editor closes down.
david

Latest FBSL.EXE or Edit.fbs ?
I dunno what you're pointing out there ?
If it's about FBSL.EXE, the ONLY diff between the actual one and previous one ONLY concerns the COM layer stuff, SO whazzup ?
Yours,

(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
:: Full SETUP w. HELP 05th of December 2011 ::
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3.exe [full v3.4.10 installation pack]
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3bin.zip [minimal upgrade to v3.4.10]
Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:41 pm

David,

Pls report your PC data AND the platform you're using.

Thnx,

Mike
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby SideshowBob » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Mike Lobanovsky wrote:When you surf the text with the navigation (arrow) keys, the status line IS NOT updated until you release the arrow key. Then WM_KEYUP is fired and the status line updates, but not until then.
That is true, but it is much less of a problem than having the program crash when the up-arrow is used. Telling people to slow down their repeat-rate or upgrade their operating system is not a practical solution either. You know far more about these things than I do, and I would never expect you to change your program to suit me. But if your program crashes, why would I use it?
SideshowBob
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Gerome » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:36 pm

Hey,

SideshowBob wrote:
Mike Lobanovsky wrote:When you surf the text with the navigation (arrow) keys, the status line IS NOT updated until you release the arrow key. Then WM_KEYUP is fired and the status line updates, but not until then.
That is true, but it is much less of a problem than having the program crash when the up-arrow is used. Telling people to slow down their repeat-rate or upgrade their operating system is not a practical solution either. You know far more about these things than I do, and I would never expect you to change your program to suit me. But if your program crashes, why would I use it?

No offense, we just try to reproduce the problem you just got, but without any success for the moment...
It's sometimes hard to find out the real problem.
Yours,

Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby entech » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:09 pm

Fujitsu lifebook,Xp Pro SP2 all the patches from MS. Centrino 1.7 512 MB RAM. I downloaded the latest update a couple of days ago and assumed that that included the latest editor release. Sorry about not supplying system details I know how important it is, on another site I had it in my signature, forgot here.
david
entech
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:51 pm

Boys,

I'll have to assume that the buffer overflows are more hardware-dependent than platform-dependent. Just for a try, I've ported the PrintStatus routine to ASM (it's now ~10 times faster) and moved a call to it to the WM_TIMER event that is fired every 30 milliseconds. Now the editor runs smoothly even under W'95 on 2 desktops + 120MHz Pentium I HP laptop which my little son has at his disposal for disassembly... :)

So far I wasn't able to reproduce the bug you're complaining of, but I'll include this new code into the next build for you to try out. I have to say, though, that calling the satus update by the timer produces the results similar to moving the code to WM_KEYUP -- on slower machines the current caret position status isn't updated typematically. That's bad, but I dunno how else I can help Charles, SideshowBob et al.

Mike
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby SideshowBob » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:35 pm

Mike Lobanovsky wrote:I dunno how else I can help Charles, SideshowBob et al.
No need to go out of your way to "help" me, Mike. :D You asked me to test it, remember? All I'm doing is reporting the results. And all I'm saying is that a slow status update is by far preferable to a program crash. If there's anything else you want tested, please feel free to ask. :D
SideshowBob
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:20 pm

SideshowBob wrote:No need to go out of your way to "help" me, Mike. :D

Well, I take it that's only provided that you don't use my editor for everyday coding... :D Which is bad... :D
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby SideshowBob » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:11 pm

Mike Lobanovsky wrote:Well, I take it that's only provided that you don't use my editor for everyday coding... :D Which is bad... :D

I'm old and set in my ways. :lol: I'm used to Crimson Editor and it has one or two things that I like better than yours, so....

But I suppose I should give yours a try on a day-to-day basis. Maybe I'll find more bugs to bug you about. :D
SideshowBob
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Gerome » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:56 am

Hey Bob !

SideshowBob wrote:
Mike Lobanovsky wrote:Well, I take it that's only provided that you don't use my editor for everyday coding... :D Which is bad... :D

I'm old and set in my ways. :lol: I'm used to Crimson Editor and it has one or two things that I like better than yours, so....

But I suppose I should give yours a try on a day-to-day basis. Maybe I'll find more bugs to bug you about. :D

To make Mike's editor smell like Crimson's editor, just go to the Tools -> Code editor Font and select 'FixedSys' 'Stdandard' '9' and you'll get some Crimson's like default font :)
If you want to add some old skool touch, select the 'Turbo Basic' color theme... :)

Enjoy ;)
Yours,

Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:34 am

SideshowBob wrote:I'm old and set in my ways. :lol:

LOL Bob,

You simply CAN'T be that old! :D

But if you are, I can make a special for you (BasicA-style):
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby entech » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:01 pm

Yeah, and maybe bring back Wordstar as a commercial word processor. Now, about a windows version of Elin ??????????????????? :roll:
david
entech
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

PreviousNext

Return to FBSL v3 Editors