FBSL License Discussion

(License, Copyright and Related Stuff)

FBSL License Discussion

Unread postby tolya » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Iam puzzled as to why FBSL has a license which makes it adoption (by anyone considering its commercial use also) difficult.

The language is fast,feature packed and can compete with any other scripting language. However , requiring that any use for commercially require a specific request is rather restrictive. Iam of the opinion that this is the only thing stopping fbsl from really leading the scripting languages field.

Is there any thought on this?

Tolya
tolya
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Re: FBSL License

Unread postby Gerome » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:41 pm

Hello,
tolya wrote:Iam puzzled as to why FBSL has a license which makes it adoption (by anyone considering its commercial use also) difficult.

The language is fast,feature packed and can compete with any other scripting language. However , requiring that any use for commercially require a specific request is rather restrictive. Iam of the opinion that this is the only thing stopping fbsl from really leading the scripting languages field.

Is there any thought on this?

Tolya

The license is quite clear: you can freely code with FBSL, but if you want to do somme business with it you have to contact me to discuss about the cost of the license, business is business, FBSL was not developped freely to enrich commercials for free.
FBSL is distributed without any technical limitations, on the opposite shareware principle is to limit time or afx nag screen and so on... but not FBSL, you are absolutely FREE to FREELY distribute your programs!
A free beer has never been a beer for free hasn't it?
Yours,

(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
:: Full SETUP w. HELP 05th of December 2011 ::
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3.exe [full v3.4.10 installation pack]
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3bin.zip [minimal upgrade to v3.4.10]
Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby entech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:43 am

I think the current system is great and really should encourage a larger user base, no nags, no time limits and encouragement to contribute. If you think you can make money with it, simple share some with the developers.
david
entech
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

license issue

Unread postby tolya » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi,

Iam an open source addict so not much chance of rolling in the green stuff :)

But, seriously, i think fbsl really zips. The reason i raised the license issue is that i read somewhere that it was originally due to fbsl being based on lcc-win32. Is that true?

tolya
tolya
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Re: license issue

Unread postby SideshowBob » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 am

tolya wrote:Iam an open source addict so not much chance of rolling in the green stuff :)

Feel free to post your open source in the Samples Repository. You can become a famous FBSL coder if not a rich one. :D
SideshowBob
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Only Concern

Unread postby Randal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:56 am

Hi all.

The only concern I have is the license portion. I don't mind paying at all, I just would like to know how much. I mean, Liberty Basic is $49 and PureBasic is I think $69 but I don't remember. I own PureBasic and it's great.

However, having said that I'm always looking for something to improve my designing. I develop small programs, the highest cost is under $10 and some are just free. I'm working on an Artificial Intelligence system with AutoIT3 which is a nice little scripting language.

Anyway, I'm looking to transfer the code into something else full featured that compiles into binary or at least bytecode. FBSL seems to be the easiest for me to do this so far as I'm almost done.

But, I don't know if I will sell what I'm writing (cheap as usual) or make it open source. If a license is inexpensive then at least I have options. If not, then I continue to look for something that I can afford and maybe help take care of four people. (Three are out of work and I'm the only one with an income now.)

I guess what it boils down to is if a single user license were inexpensive and posted, I would buy right now and go full force into the translation. I just wish licensing were posted.

Back to translating,

Randal
Randal
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Re: Only Concern

Unread postby Gerome » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 am

Hello,

I won't give you a precise 'cost' of the FBSL license here...

- Why?
Simply because I have another consideration rather than classical licenses we can find over this planet.

People have more or less money, more or less chance to sell their product, more or less potential to develop their own business... that's also why I can't claim $xxxx for an FBSL license.

But many people that have used FBSL already have contacted me to know how to use it commercially, and my reply was always the same that is to say using this donation page
This way you can estimate a reasonable amount of a donation you can offer to the FBSL team, then you'll receive an email that will grant you to use FBSL commercially.

It's up to you!
Yours,

(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
:: Full SETUP w. HELP 05th of December 2011 ::
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3.exe [full v3.4.10 installation pack]
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3bin.zip [minimal upgrade to v3.4.10]
Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Expect a nice donation

Unread postby Randal » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi Gerome,

That's okay. I just didn't want it to be something like $6,600 for using kbasic for instance. Yes, there is something in the fine print on their site for open source but to license for any other use than personal is that amount which is more than I have in my bank account! Were I alone again, that wouldn't be a problem although I wouldn't pay that price.

When I decide to purchase you can expect an above average donation. I believe in paying for quality and hard work and quite frankly, this is a nice little scripting language. I can tell a lot of love went into it.

Thanks Gerome,

Randal :)
Randal
FBSL tiny seed
FBSL tiny seed

Return to FBSL v3 Legal Matters