Commercial question

(License, Copyright and Related Stuff)

Commercial question

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:02 am

Hello Gerome,

your license for FBSL contains: “The program is distributed as FREEWARE and DOES require license fees for use or distribution for Companies or if you make commercial programs using FBSL. The license must be applied for by contacting the author.”
As far as I know are SAP environments only in companies. How could you imagine a regulation of the FBSL using inside SAP environments?

Thanks in advance.
Stefan
Visit my homepage
or meet me at XING or at the SCN
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Re: Commercial question

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am

Hello Gerome,

thanks for moving this question to the right board. I read your message from December 11th 2008 and now I know the conditions.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Stefan
Visit my homepage
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Gerome » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Stefan Schnell wrote:Hello Gerome,

thanks for moving this question to the right board. I read your message from December 11th 2008 and now I know the conditions.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

The FREE part of FBSL is as follows:

- anyone is free to use it for any legal purpose;
- anyone is free to use it in its entirety: everyone has a final product, not just a limited trial or nagged demo;
- anyone is free to promote it, or promote applications written in it, for free.

FBSL is out there primarily to let people have personal fun and amusement, and to let still other people have fun and amusement too through the applications written in this language by someone else.

We are free-minded people as long as we are having fun and amusement. But all fun and amusement stops the very moment when we dress up and go out to work. There and then we take certain responsibilities and we usually do not let anyone have fun or amusement with our salary in return for our responsibilities. In other words, following Mother Nature's law, we do not work for others for free.

The NON-free part of FBSL is as follows:

- noone may use it in corporate environments, businesses, programs and other ventures aimed at gaining financial profit;
- noone may distribute it in exchange for money except for the exact reimbursement of the costs of digital media FBSL is stored on or transmitted through; and
- noone may distribute applications written in FBSL in exchange for money except for the exact reimbursement of the costs of digital media such applications are stored on or transmitted through,

all of this UNLESS:

- a donation-based license fee is negotiated with, and received from, any person who plans to use FBSL for financial profit; or
- a commercial license fee is negotiated with, and paid by, any corporate entity that plans to use FBSL in its corporate environment and/or to further deal in FBSL software for financial profit.

In either case, the negotiations should be initiated by such a person or corporate entity by contacting me at gerome_71@yahoo.fr
Yours,

(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
:: Full SETUP w. HELP 05th of December 2011 ::
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3.exe [full v3.4.10 installation pack]
http://www.fbsl.net/setup/FBSLv3bin.zip [minimal upgrade to v3.4.10]
Laissons les jolies femmes aux hommes sans imagination. / Let us leave pretty women to men without imagination.(M.Proust)
The success is a defeat for the one who does not want to dance any more! (H.F. Thiefaine)
Gerome
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Hello Stefan,

In fact, I've been waiting for this question ever since I saw SAP being mentioned on the forum pages. With Gerome's permission, I would like to add a comment of my own.

FBSL is basically a free product and is provided "AS IS". It means both Gerome and the entire FBSL dev team assume absolutely no responsibility as to how you use your own free copy of FBSL, what features you utilize and what your own ideas of how these features should work for you are. Neither do we assume any responsibility for your misuse and/or abuse of FBSL features that may cause harm to your other software or hardware or to those of the end-users of your final products. Some such features are really low-level stuff and you're using them entirely at your own risk. We can only warn you or advise you on what to do with your free FBSL to get the best results which you might expect.

"AS IS" is a natural and universally acceptable trade-off for "FREEDOM" (as in "free beer").

In simple words, FBSL for me is fun and pleasure to both develop and use. And I am very happy if FBSL as it is is also fun and pleasure to work or play with for somebody else. On the other hand, if somebody asks for a feature which I personally don't or won't need, I will spend my time on it only if my left hind leg feels like it. If it doesn't, I won't. Just because the result won't seem to me worth the effort nor will it help me buy more bread for my family.

"INVOLVEMENT" is a natural and universally acceptable responsibility for "PAYMENT".

Paying for a license has just one benefit over using a free copy of FBSL for unauthorized activities. We will assume the responsibility to maintain a paying user's copy of FBSL, integrate it into their tool chain, and provide prioritized support for their demands and issues -- all of it to the best of our abilities. In simple words, money always raises one's level of motivation.

All this doesn't mean that I would spend days and nights searching the net for possible violations and infringements, as the late Bob Zale (R.I.P.) used to. I'd consider this as extreme paranoia. But there's nothing prevents me from launching a small-sized atomic warfare against some such abuser should I ever come across one, incidentally for me and accidentally for him.
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:03 am

Hello Gerome and Mike,

thank you very much for your explanations, that is good to know. Now we will see how the things are going on.

Cheers
Stefan
Visit my homepage
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 am

Hello Gerome and Mike,
you wrote:
"noone may use it in corporate environments, businesses, programs and other ventures aimed at gaining financial profit"

Sometimes it is necessary to persuade some decision makers and in this case it is necessary to use FBSL in business environments - for developing and experimental reasons. Is it imaginable for you, to accept this kind of using against your NON-free part of FBSL. It is a little bit like a grey zone, a step from active amateur developing with good ideas - from personal fun and challenge - to business. Hope it is acceptable for you?

Thanks in advance, cheers
Stefan
Visit my homepage
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Unread postby Mike Lobanovsky » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi Stefan,

Nice to meet you face to face. :)

Please have a look at this message of mine on the OxygenBasic forum. It hasn't been replicated yet here on this forum but what it promises is true to the very last word.

I can only add that when the nearest FBSL v3.5 RC3 is published here, the FBSL license will be already changed to, and officially published here as, this much more permissive BSD/MIT style variant I was talking about. The decision to this effect has been taken by all the three members of FBSL Development Team unanimously. The FBSL source code will however stay closed.

That said, you can regard this message as our official consent with your "stepping away" from the License as it still holds on the FBSL forum. You may use your copy or copies of the latest FBSL v3.5 RC2 for any purpose, whether private, or public, or commercial, freely without our prior consent as long as

1. You don't misintepret the origin of FBSL v3.5 RC2 in your possession; and

2. You and/or your partners agree to accept FBSL v3.5 RC2 AS-IS without our obligation to maintain it, or your projects based on it, and without our responsibility for any potential losses related to its use, misuse, or abuse by you and/or your partners, whether in its original form or in any of your projects based on it or produced with the help of it as a programming tool.

If you are OK with these terms, you may proceed safely.

Good luck!
Mike
"Я старый солдат, мадам, и не знаю слов любви."
"I am an old soldier, ma'am, and I don't know the words of love."
"Je suis un vieux soldat, madame, et je ne connais pas les mots d'amour."
"Ich bin ein alter Soldat, gnädige Frau, und ich weiß nicht die Worte der Liebe."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.2GHz i5 Core Quad, 8GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 550Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM)
(x86 Win XP Pro Russian Sp3/x86 Win Vista Ultimate Sp2/x64 Win 7 Ultimate Sp1/Wine in x64 elementaryOS Luna)
Mike Lobanovsky
FBSL Administrator
FBSL Administrator

Unread postby Stefan Schnell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Hello Mike,

thank you very much to you and the FBSL development team for this "present".

Cheers
Stefan
Visit my homepage
Stefan Schnell
FBSL geek
FBSL geek

Return to FBSL v3 Legal Matters